Tuesday, January 15, 2008

raw food and alcohol

So, here's a deliema I've been wrestling with ever since I went raw. Alcohol. I like the occasional drink. I used to have a glass of wine nearly every night while fixing dinner. Since going raw I've cut down to nearly nothing. Over the holidays I had a few barely filled glasses and was fine. Now and then I'll have more than just a small glass. And even then I've been okay.

And a few times I've just had to let go a little. Nothing major. Most people would still think my 2 or 3 drinks was nothing. Though I woke with a small headache I was over it nearly as soon as my 24 oz carrot/apple/zucchini juice was down.

But then, sometimes, I have a night like tonight. I had zucchini pasta with rawfrado sauce - no mushrooms, I was out, but was still wonderful. Then, since I was still a little hungry because I'd been out of town and hadn't eaten all day, I fixed myself some raw cacao, olive oil, coconut oil, agave, goji berries and sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat. I know I shouldn't have had it this late at night but it was calling my name. So, here I sit, eating my fudgy rice crispies and sipping a shot glass of my favorite rum, Gosling's Black Seal Rum.

Can I really consider myself 100% Raw Vegan if I still drink on occasion? Oh, I'm 100% if you don't consider my every now and then tip of the tongue tastes or my alcohol sipping.

So, if you're reading this and you're a raw foodist, what are your thoughts on the occasional drink?