Thursday, February 7, 2008

What I miss the most

I miss...
The warm sun on my bare shoulders...
The smell of horses on my dirty hands...
The feel of warm dirt under my shoeless feet...
The sound of hooves dancing in the pastures...
The sight of my mares grazing with newborn foals...
And last but not least,
The creepy, crawly feeling I get when I'm cleaning out the chicken coop.
I'd gladly trade the coats and gloves, boots and wool socks for a few hours of work cleaning the stupid chicken coop on a hot windless day. The kind of day that you're hot when you walk out the door, the bees are buzzy around your head and the smell of chicken poop is overpowering. But as much as I hate that job, and trust me, it's the worst job on the ranch, I'd be thrilled to do it tomorrow, in 100 degree heat, with the sun beating down and not a breath of wind. Yes, right now, that's what I want more than anything.