Thursday, May 1, 2008

How I do SWEET smoothies

I make a lot of smoothies. I'd say easily 1/3 or more of my food intake is in smoothies now that I'm raw. When I first went raw and heard about smoothies and well... lets just say that unless you have a VitaMix or other high quality blender, you will not be satisfied with the results.

So after a year of being raw and a VitaMix I've come up with MY basics of two smoothies; today I'll describe my sweet breakfast smoothie.

SWEET BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
I choose one (or more) from each 'choice'.

THE LIQUID CHOICES:
Almond Milk
Coconut Water
Milk Thistle Milk
Herbal Tea
Plain water

THE PROTEIN/FAT CHOICES:

Coconut Meat
Hemp Seeds or Oil
Cashews (soaked at least 4 hours)
Macadamias (soaked overnight)
Coconut Butter
Chia Seeds
Flax Seeds or Oil

THE FRUIT:

Goji Berries
Berries
Banana
Mango
Pineapple
(try them singly, mix & match - play with and have fun!)
Feel free to try other fruits such as Papaya, oranges, etc.
Goji Berries are of course dried or powdered. The berries and fruit can be frozen or fresh depending on where you live and the time of year. I LIKE frozen fruit because they make a nice frozen smoothie but if there are fresh fruits and berries available then I freeze the bananas.

THE EXTRAS:
(AGAIN - try them singly, mix & match - play with and have fun!)
Bee Pollen
Raw Cacao powder, nibs &/or butter
Honey - organic, local
Vanilla Bean - raw, sun dried, organic
Agave Nectar - raw, organic
Dates - raw, sun dried, organic
Cinnamon, Nutmeg - organic
Stevia liquid - also comes in flavors, like coffee!
Just a quick note about the sugars from my personal experiences.... Use as little as needed for a slightly sweet taste. I get better results from being raw if you use only small amounts of sugars.