Monday, January 19, 2009

Me and The Duke


Even though it's not a great picture of me, I wanted to post it anyway. Duke is my 2 1/2 year old great dane. When we bought him he was one of the last of his litter, the runt actually. It was September 2006, he was 8 weeks old and I was in full blown RA and Fibro. He came home with us and became my bed mate during the day when everyone was at work and school. His first 8 months with us he spent mostly in bed with me, keeping me warm and sane. When I went RAW May 7th, 2007 our lives changed. Instead of being my bed mate he became my walking companion when I walked the pastures. Our labrador and golden retreivers are too fast, too active for a recovering person! Duke was slow and patient, even as a puppy.

Now our lives are completely different. The dogs are alone all day while we work and go to school. However, this past week I had the flu and Duke knew it. He always knows when someone is sick and he sleeps with them (the boys included) every moment. From the moment I came home from work Thursday until Saturday morning he hardly left my side. He is a special friend and this photo really captures our relationship.