Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oranges, Oranges, Oranges (& raw pesto)

This is a current picture of me. 1 year, 10 months after going RAW.

Money has been tough since moving to Texas but especially this week. So I didn't get to go grocery shopping last weekend. Which means there was enought in the freezer and cabinets for the family but for someone who eats only fresh foods I didn't have much. And it's Spring Break here at work so the cafeteria hasn't been doing it's normal salad bar. For some reason I haven't figured out, during holidays the kitchen staff don't have a salad bar they just make a bowl of salad. Which includes shredded iceburg lettuce (blah!), tomatoes (can't eat they aggrivate my RA), cheese (not a raw food item), and fake bacon bits (not a food at all!). Therefore I'm left to eating what's the fruit of the day, which this week has been oranges. I've had 2-4 oranges everyday for lunch all week long. Not that I'm complaining, I feel like I'm on some kind of orange fast. Actually I'm feeling pretty amazing. It's detoxing me a little. Had a killer headache yesterday and I haven't had one in months. Feel great today! My elbow pain has actually let up a little this week. Could it be the oranges?
Also I made some pesto the other night. Took the idea from the Labicki's last week.
RAW PESTO
1 big old handful fresh Basil
1 big old handful fresh Cilantro
1/4 C Olive Oil
1 C Pecans (soaked overnight)
juice of 1/2 large Lemon
a tiny dash of Nama Shoya or sea salt
fresh ground Pepper to taste
Blend in blender until nice and smooth. I served it over spirilized zucchini. YUM!