Saturday, April 25, 2009

Horse sales and fresh strawberries

My husband had today off and said he had a surprise for us this morning. He'd found a horse sale. And not just any horse sale. A sale specializing in our breed of quarter horses. The 9th Annual East Texas Breeders sale of Hancock horses featuring lots of Driftwood and Blue Valentine with a little Sun Frost thrown in too.

It was a nice drive north of Tyler to Mt Pleasant (also home of Prifert). On our way there we passed a strawberry field, recently opened to the public for the season. The idea was to stop there on the way back and pick strawberries ourselves.

Bad news is the field was closed when we came back by. Good news is a roadside stand was selling local fruit, including that field's berries. They were perfectly ripe and fresh. Amazing.

The horse sale was good. Prices were higher than I expected yet not as high as I'd like to have seen. Yea, I know, I'm hard to please. The horses looked great. There were several that I'd have really like to buy for our broodmare herd. There was a stallion there that reminded me of Cisco. That was the hardest part. Seeing that young stallion made me very sad. We ended up leaving before the end because it just put me in a funk. I don't think I'll ever get over selling him. Sometimes I wish we'd win the lottery. Not because of the house I could build, the traveling I could do, no. I'd buy him back in a heartbeat. It wouldn't matter how much he cost. I'd pay millions for him. I've made some bad decisions in my life but selling him was the worst.

But all in all. It was a nice cheap trip out of town. It was good to be around my kind of horse people and I got fresh organic strawberries as a bonus. I have a raw strawberry cheesecake in the fridge now.... ;0)