Saturday, May 23, 2009

An overall Sucessful Raw Week!

I am happy to say I have been 99% raw all week! And I'm feeling amazing.

I've lost 6 of the 10-15 pounds that have snuck up on me since moving to Texas. My belly is flattening again (without exercise!) and my clothes are fitting me better again. That dreadful 'muffin top' is starting to disappear too.

What am I doing different now that I wasn't doing before?
  • I am starting out my day with 8 oz water and juice of 1/2 lemon.
  • I'm not making intricate super smoothies full of nut milks, hemp seed, cacao, bananas and coconut butters for breakfast every morning. I was making 3-4 cups worth every morning so I'd feel full all day because I didn't want to have to deal with lunches. I feel cleaner because I'm not starting my day with these massive fat filled drinks.
  • I am making simple juices for breakfast instead. just Orange juice, just Kale juice, just Coconut water, that sort of thing. Thursday I juiced 2 oranges, blended with 1/4 pineapple then dolloped in a little coconut cream. It was too much. Though it was amazing and not as fat feeling as my previous breakfast smoothies it was still too much. My body prefers lightness in the mornings!
  • I am limiting my nuts and fats. I was eating 1 or more avocados a day plus nearly unlimited olive oil and that's not counting the cacao.
  • I'm eating much more greens again. YEA!
  • I'm eating better lunches / green lunches. Simple green salads with raw dressings that are not full of olive oils and avocados. When I first went raw I only wanted lemon juice on my salads. I'm not that rigid again but I am using mostly lemon juice, a dash of olive oil or 1/2 avocado then a handful of herbs and fresh cracked black pepper and sprinkles of dried raw seaweeds. I'm trying to stay away from Nama Shoyu and Braggs.
  • I'm eating less overall because I'm not allowing myself to get overly hungry.
  • I'm not cheating as much. (Ok, had 2 tsps of organic peanut butter the other day - though I enjoyed the taste I didn't like the was it made me feel a half hour later and last night I ate a handful of corn chips with raw guacamole - but hey, I was having a Friday margarita.)
So I'm overall pleased with myself in the raw food arena.

However, my drinking this past week was a little over the top. I drank both Thurs and Friday after work. The RA and fibro are weaving their little hands saying "hey, remember me? When you drink or cheat I come back to visit!"

It's tough though. Not just living a raw food life. But living it alone. My family understands and supports me but doesn't share with me. My husband has just been diagnosed with high cholesterol, high triglycerides, elevated liver functions and borderline something else I can't remember. I recommended a Master Cleanse. Though it didn't work for me I do think it would work for him. But with him being a truck driver and working 6 am to 7 pm 6 days a week I don't think he'd last a minute. I want him healthy but I know he won't change. And just as I know he won't change his eating habits to become healthier I know he'll never change how he thinks. I think on multiple planes, deeply and spiritually. I think of things like 2012, reincarnation, astral projection, shamanic dreaming - you name it, I'm open to thinking, reading or discussing anything. I like to say I think and see in full color. My husband, sadly, thinks and sees in black and white. Sometimes I worry about our differences. Opposites attract, yes. But if the people involved are not interested enough in the other person's differences then they are just that... different.