Monday, May 11, 2009

Nightshade plants and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Welcome Beauty of Expression!
I've been reading your blogs and I love them! We have some things in common, I think. I'm going to go check to see if you've posted lately - I miss them.

I have one bit of advice - though you may or may not know about it.

I restrict my intake of nightshade plants: tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.

(I know this sucks, there are so many amazing raw recipes that call for these, lasagna is one of my favorites and I used to eat peppers like apples, yum.)

However, in my 2 year experience of being raw and having rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, I just can't eat them. Over and over I tried. I'd go without for a couple weeks and be feeling amazing. Then I'd see a perfect heirloom tomato or the perfect pepper just waiting to be stuffed with nut meat which I'd bring home and devour. The NEXT DAY I would feel it. (I bet you know what I mean.) Depending on how much I'd eaten it always starts in my elbows, then my hands and if I ate a lot I'd awake to my feet feeling like glass again. Now it would go away within days of being raw and not eating them. I'm not saying I don't still eat them now and then. I do. Maybe once a month I'll still have one meal with them. But I know I'll pay for it the next day and for several after while my body gets rid of it again. Sometimes it's worth it but mostly.... not so much.