Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Raw foodists at a church I'm considering going to

Kinda bummed today.

I realized last night that I have to give a talk about the non-profit I work for on Saturday from 11 am to noon. That means I can't go to Dallas/Irving to the church I want to visit. Though I don't actually have plans for Sunday and maybe it would be better to go then. If I don't go Sunday then it looks like I couldn't get there for at least the next 5 or 6 weeks because of my son coming in from Nebraska for the holidays. I guess I'm still up in the air at the moment.

Either way - I thought it worthwhile to tell you about the conversation I had with the gentleman arranging my visit. After going over the basics of the church beliefs, why I am interested, etc., he mentioned that I could stay as long as I like and even eat there. Eat there? Yes, they serve meals. I said that though it was very sweet there probably wouldn't be much for me to eat. (I'm thinking back to those typical Catholic food events.) The gentleman mentioned that if I had a specific dietary need that they could order something special for me. I said, well, I am a raw vegan but I don't need anything special other than fruits and vegetables. And this is where he surprised me... He then said, "Oh, that shouldn't be a problem, we actually have several raw foodists here", "I'll make a point to introduce you" to some of them. What a pleasant surprise!