Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My son's day two of trying raw

Um, I guess so far so good.

We had an issue just before swim practice. He was super hungry and felt he wouldn't have enough energy so he had a banana, peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread. And then after swim he ate the remainder of my raw berry cheesecake.

This morning he had a banana, pineapple, coconut, hemp & white chia seed smoothie. He said that filled him up for hours.

Early lunch snack was an apple and some raw cacao fudge. Personally I put the fudge on a banana but he preferred the apple (yuk!) ;)

Late lunch I fixed, for the first time ever, spaghetti sauce - I LOVED IT AND SO DID HE! I never, in 3 years of being raw, have ever fixed raw spaghetti sauce. I usually stay away from nightshade plants because of my rheumatoid arthritis but I was looking for something that he'd really like and I already had ingredients for. It was nice that I was able to already go out to my herb garden and get some fresh herbs (though no basil). And, I had a small bag of sundried tomatoes I'd hadn't used.

Here is my basic recipe - I made up as I went....

2 large-isth tomatoes
10 or so sun dried tomatoes
1 Tbs or so lemon juice
2-3 Tbs olive oil
a small yellow pepper
2 celery stalks
1/2 - 1 garlic clove
herbs from my garden: mostly oregano, cilantro, thyme and a bit rosemary.
I also picked a small handful of MIZUNA and added to the mixture. I'll add a picture later today.