Monday, April 5, 2010

Marriage, Over-soaked cashews and looking for an Irish Moss dessert recipe

It's been B*U*S*Y here since I last posted. My husband switched jobs so was home from last Wednesday until yesterday. We, again, spent a ton of time in the garden, in the pasture finishing up fixing fence and just spending some quality time together. I'm still pretty sore from all the work but rested yesterday mostly on my backside either in the hammock, in front of the computer, tv or fixing meals. We had our big holiday meal Saturday night. The family ate the typical ham, mashed taters and corn casserole while I ate a nice salad and gogi berry raw pie for dessert. Oh, I did eat a bite of my son's molten chocolate cinnamon pots I made for them but was surprised to find it too sweet and the chocolate tasted weird, not at all like raw cacao! Yea, again for the happy raw taste buds!!!

I guess, overall, I feel better. It's a tough call though as I'm now sad because my husband is working 450 miles away and will only be home every other weekend. We don't know how long this will last -years for sure- but the money is so amazing that even with paying for his apartment and living expenses out of town we will still be able to build the garden shed and horse barn this year and buy a used pickup. It will take time but it looks like it will all finally start coming together for us this year. But I will miss him soooo much. I already do and he's only been gone 24 hours.

Because I couldn't sleep last night I ended up sleeping in this morning and it's really put me in a funk. It's almost noon and I'm still in my pj's. I've GOT to go to the store today as I seem to be out of everything. I made myself a carrot, romaine and ginger root juice for a late breakfast as there really wasn't anything else left in the fridge!

Hey, that reminds me I need cashews. I bought a pound the other day, rinsed and soaked it and put it in the fridge to use the next day. The next day came and went and I didn't use it until it was 2-3 days later. I opened the jar and it smelled like... dirty feet. I rinsed and rinsed and they still stank. I was so mad at myself for letting a whole pound of raw organic whole cashews go bad!

I DO have in my fridge a jar of irish moss gel! I rinsed (and rinsed and rinsed!) then soaked 36 hours in the fridge then blended with a little water. I read that now I can keep in fridge as long as 3 weeks before using so I'm looking for my first recipe to try it with. I admit I'm a little scared as I can usually taste anything fishy a mile away and I don't like it one bit. If I make a beautiful expensive dessert and it has the slightest fishy smell or taste I will not be happy. I'll let you know what recipe I decide to use.