Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Products I use ON my body

This morning while taking my bath I realized I never talk about the products I use ON my body. I'm always talking about what I put inside it. So today I thought I'd share with you the products I use.

I was a teenager in the 80's and had all that bleached blonde big rocker hair and bold make-up. As I've gotten older I wear less and less.

SKINCARE
CLEANSER/SCRUB: My typical day starts in the shower/bath with my absolute favorite cleanser called "Angels on Bare Skin" by Lush. It's this perfect blend of graininess for exfoliation, the relaxing yet invigorating smell from the lavender and oils for moisture. About once a week I like to use a nice salt scrub to keep my getting older skin glowing. In the past I've used just natural sea
salt but I prefer to use Lush's Ocean Salt when I have the money. That and who doesn't like the idea of using a vodka based salt scrub?

MOISTURIZER: I love coconut butter. I eat it and I slather it from head to toe. Back in dry Western Nebraska I was able to use it year around. However, here in the hot East Texas humidity it's just too oily so I prefer to use Alba Green Tea Eye Gel around my eyes and Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless Day Lotion.

BODY LOTION: Again, coconut butter is the norm but I also love Burt's Bees Radiance Body Lotion because it has natural mica in it giving me this beautiful hint of a sparkle. Not teenage sparkle, just this gorgeous slightly iridescent look that goes just as well with jeans and t-shirts as with ball gowns or business attire.

ARTHRITIS LOTION: Arthritis lotion? What's that you ask. Well, I found it just a year ago and have been using is relig
iously ever since on my hands, wrists, elbows, knees, where ever might be aching. It's called Glucosamine, MSM & Arnica Liposome Lotion by NOW. It does smell so don't use it if you're planning on making a good impression.

SOAP: Ops, almost forgot soap... mainly because I don't really use soap on my body. If I get really dirty I'll use a bar of handmade soap that doesn't have sulfates. I like the oatmeal and coconut butter kinds.

HAIRCARE
Immediately after going raw I tried the "No Poo" method but I just couldn't keep it up. I have pretty crazy hair; 3/4 of it is naturally curly and the top 1/4 is wavy at best. I was a light blonde my whole life but as I get older I get darker and I don't like it so I do "gasp" get it high lightened a few times a year. Hey, I'm still a girl, what can I say :)

I'm currently switching
between two products. I only "wash" my hair once or twice a week and I switch between products. I don't actually use a shampoo or anything that might strip too much moisture from my hair.
• My favorite of the two is Wen by Chaz Dean but it's pretty expensive. Yes, this is from that TV infomercial with Melissa Gilbert of Little House on the Prairie. It's not organic but it is sulfate free and I can actually semi-control my crazy hair.
• The second product I use is Organics Rosemary Mint Conditioner by Noah's Naturals and strangely enough I found it at Walmart. It was marked down to half price so I bought a case of it a few months ago.
• Jells, hairsprays, foams, etc. - I don't use any of it. As I do have crazy hair I will use a dab of coconut butter rubbed thoroughly through my hands then lightly "topped" onto my fly aways.

EVERYTHING ELSE
DEODORANT: When I first went raw in Western Nebraska I quit using deodorant because I found I just didn't smell like I did when I ate meat. Occasionally I'd use a natural salt rock and that was enough. Here in East Texas with the heat and humidity I need something a little stronger-especially in the summer. I'm currently using Nature's Gate Organics Chamomile & Lemon Verbena. It's okay, has a weird feel to it but when I'm outside working or I go to an event it's better than nothing.

TOOTHPASTE: Okay, I'm going to admit something.... I don't often brush. Never have really. I guess I have good teeth. When I DO brush, about 3 times a week, I use either Uncle Harry's All Natural Toothpowder OR Nature's Gate Creme de Anise Natural Toothpaste depending on if I want to taste black licorice or not ;)

PERFUME: Yes, again, I'm still a girl and I occasionally like to smell nice. For the past 3 years I've only used KARMA
solid perfume by Lush Cosmetics. It's ME. Enough said.

MAKE-UP: Yep, it's the girly thing again. When I'm working outside of home or going out I wear make-up but on a typical day I do NOT wear a bit of make-up. But when I do, I ONLY wear bareMinerals with the exception of mascara in which I've been known to use Organic Wear.

This is me today as I'd be found most days, without a stitch of make-up.