Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Review and Menu for Feb. 15, 2011

I bought myself a new raw book last night.  Though I love Barnes and Noble they often don't carry many raw books, so when they get in a new one, I notice! 

Raw Food, A Complete Guide for Every Meal of the Day by Erica Palmcrantz and Irmela Lilja.  Erica is a cousin of the well known Jinjee (and Storm) Talifero of The Garden Diet


What I immediately liked about the book was it's beautiful slick and colorful pages.  I detest recipe books with a pretty cover hiding ugly monochrome print inside.  This book is just beautiful and I'll be proud to own it.

At first glance, from someone who has been part of the raw food community for nearly four years, it's seems awfully basic and more for a beginner.  But then pretty pictures drew me in and I ended up reading it cover to cover last night, scanning over the recipes and thoroughly enjoying the little extra interviews thrown in as well.  What I found just as appealing as it's photography was it's SIMPLICITY.  Nearly every ingredient I either grow myself or can be found at my local grocery store-and that's saying a lot, because I don't have easy access to any co-ops, farmer's markets (this time of year) or Whole Foods.  I have several raw recipe books that require a dozen or more ingredients and I hardly ever open them because I know I'll have drive 2 hours to Dallas or order something online just to make one meal. Also, I was thrilled to see that not every recipe called for tomatoes.  As I have RA, nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potato) contain alkaloids which, for me at least, cause significant pain and swelling within hours.  I look forward to working my way through the recipes starting today!

Overall, I'd say that it looks like a great buy.  At a retail of only $14.95 you get full glossy color, beautiful photographs, tons of recipes, interviews with several people new to raw food and additional information on the how to's and why's of raw food.  I will post later about the results of the recipes.


Here's the Menu for today:

Breakfast
1 C room temp spring water with 1/2 fresh lemon juice
1 Kiwi
(Upside down-coffee... See Gerson Therapy for explanation)
Green Juice: 1 zucchini, 1 lemon, 2 small apples, big handful each: parsley, cilantro and spinach, 1 sprig mint, 1" ginger root

Lunch
2 Sushi Rolls made with untoasted Nori sheets
Filling: asparagus, carrot, avocado, spinach, arugula
Nut "Rice" spread: Brazil nuts, sesame seeds, tahini, miso, curry, turmeric, 1 clove garlic, 1 green onion
Half a Guava Kombucha of GT Dave's

Snack
3 Strawberries and a pint Blueberries with hemp cacao fudge

Dinner
Mango Lassie: banana, mango, hemp seeds, fresh coconut cream, dates, cardamon
(I only got half of this as I shared it with my boys :-)