Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 7 of my 8 Day Juice Feast and Belle's foal

My Juice Fast
Wow! Time sure has flown for me this week.  My juice feast is going amazing and I feel terrific.  Truly, my only complaint is that I miss chewing food.  Okay, maybe I miss the taste of food too :)  Green juices are not always wonderful tasting, no matter what you do to them and they are often icky brown (due to mixing greens with carrots or beets).  When juicing one has to be very careful of the amount of sugars they are drinking.  All root vegetables, and of course fruits, are naturally high in sugars.  Yet, you often need carrots, apples or other fruits to sweeten up an otherwise nasty or dirty (beets-and yes, I peel them first) tasting healthy for you juice.

During other juice fasts I've only juiced what I wanted to drink at that moment.  That meant multiple juicing and cleaning of my Champion juicer.  This time I tried something different.  Every morning I juice just a freakish amount of vegetables, drinking half for breakfast and the second half for lunch.  I drink fresh spring water (not bottled but from an actual spring), herbal teas and coconut water in between my main "meals".  Then for dinner I will juice again.  A few days I got carried away and had enough for dinner too.  Now I know that all juices are best fresh. They have the most enzymes, vitamins and minerals and often taste better.  But I get so tired of juicing that I sometimes get lazy and don't juice therefor just drinking water and end up not getting enough nutrients.  So, this time, I feel that I am really getting the correct amounts of juice, nutrients, enzymes, vitamins and minerals I really need to heal myself.

And I DO feel it working!  My joints feel sooooo much better!!!  The swelling in my hands is completely gone and my feet feel pretty darn good even though I've been working outside nearly everyday.   I actually mentioned yesterday that I think I could wear high heels again, Yippee!

Here are the benefits that I've noticed so far this past week.
  • Rheumatoid arthritis: swelling - gone, pain - much improved!
  • Fibromyalgia:  muscle tenderness - much, much improved!
  • Restless leg: GONE!
  • Insomnia: GONE!  Sleeping like a baby and waking well rested and eager to start the day.
and a drum roll please.......
  • Weight:  178 pounds down from 185 just a week ago for a loss of 7 pounds!  My clothes feel looser, my stomach flatter and my skin looks great.
For those of you who want to know what I've been juicing here is a rough recipe list


Juice One
Parsley (big fistful)
1/2 Fennel bulb including top
whole Lemon
Dandelion (big fistful)
2 Cucumbers
8-10 Carrots
1 small Apples
Mint (6 or so sprigs)
1-2" Ginger root (optional)

Juice Two
Parsley (big fistful)
and/or Dandlion
and/or Spinach
and/or Kale
and/or Romaine Lettuce
1-2 Zuccinni
10-15 Carrots
2 small Apples
2-3" Ginger root

Juice Three
1/2 to full Pineapple
4 - 6 Cups Spinach
2-4" Ginger root

Juice Four
1 Beet
1-2 Cucumber 
and/or 1-2 Zucchini
8 Strawberries
5 Lettuce leaves
and/or Kale
1 C Spinach
Parsley (big fistful)
5-8 Carrots (optional)

Juice Five
Parsley (big fistful)
Celery (1/2 a full bunch)
2 Apples
2 big Cucumbers
8-10 Carrots
1 Lemon

Juice Six
Whatever is left in the fridge that I haven't already juiced!  I'll try anything, really :)

You will notice I juice Parsley  in nearly everything.  I never used to, I admit, but I find it not only helps the breath but it really helps with body odor.  A big fistful of Parsley and 1 Cucumber juiced is a terrific tonic right before working outside on hot, humid Texas summer days.

Tomorrow is my last day of juicing then I start transitioning by eating light salads, raw soups and fruits.  I can't wait!  I'll let you know what my first meal is.

On the Ranch
Well, Belle is still pregnant!   I was told to expect her foal between the 25th and 28th.  Today is the 28th and still, nothing. Oh, she finally has her milk in so I expect it to be any day now.  Good news is that I'm hoping since she's a little late it will finally be a stud colt.  I will post pictures the moment I have them.

And, as a side note.  My heart goes out to everyone in West Texas with all the fires and the pileup on the interstate.  Grass fires, all fires, seem like they'd be terrifying. Thankfully I've never dealt with one personally.  I've heard of some ranches losing livestock.  Which, I know in the scheme of things isn't as important as the human lives lost but still, as you all know, I'm an animal person.  People may be in accidents but we put ourselves out there.  Livestock aren't given a choice.  We fence them in and they have no way to escape.  It's our fault when they are burned alive or drowned for that matter. Sure, I understand that sometimes that happens in the wild too but not in the numbers that it happens to in domesticated animals.  May all the lives lost, human and beast, rest in peace.