Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Coming Soon!

Even before I became a raw vegan I loved making up my own recipes.  There is something very zen about starting with a simple base, whether that is chicken or zucchini, and just throwing whatever feels good into the mix to see what comes out.  Maybe it's my artistic side coming out in my food preparation. Either way I would have to say that 95% of my cooking is done without a cookbook. 

My husband loves to say that I can't make anything good twice because I never write it down.  Well, for their food that may actually be true.  However, from the moment I started on this living foods journey I started writing everything down.  Possibly because many of the first recipes I found on the internet were just disgusting.  Really, who wants to eat raw cauliflower blended into fake mashed potatoes? Seriously, there is nothing you can do to that white lumpy stuff to make it into a comfort food such as cheesy garlic mashed taters. 



After 4 years of being high raw I've accumulated a notebook full of recipes and I've shared many of these on this blog over the years too.  Many people, mostly relatives and close friends have asked why I haven't written a raw recipe book.  Why?  Hum.... lazy comes to mind at first but no, that's not the reason.  Actually I think it's because I'm afraid no one will like or appreciate my recipes.  That and I have no education in food or nutrition so how could I possibly be qualified to write a cookbook? So I've kept the majority of my recipes to myself.

A few weeks ago I bought a living foods recipe e-book from a semi well known raw chef.  I've had time to try out more than half the recipes and I've got to be honest.... I'm disappointed---again.  Many of my recipes are much, much better than that.

I've found over the years that raw recipes basically fall into two categories.  Those that are terribly difficult with twenty plus ingredients and some of you won't even be able to find in some major cities.  Then there are those that have three ingredients and are just a repeat of ten other raw recipes that you can find anywhere on the internet.  Why can't I find delicious and manageable living food recipes? Hum?  I guess that's because they are all in my notebook waiting to be published.

I've actually started typing and laying it out (sure helps that I know a graphic designer, lol!) and I have plans on selling it as an e-book.  I have no idea how much I will sell it for, that will depend on how many recipes actually end up in it.  At the moment I have 40 plus recipes that are ready to go but I have another dozen or so that I'm in the process of tweaking.  Then again, I'm always making stuff up so who knows how many will end up in the finished product.  I'm giving myself a time line too.  I want it finished and available for purchase by November 1, 2011. The approximate categories will be Juices, Smoothies and Teas, Salads and Sides, Soups, Entrees, Sauces, Dressings and Dips, and Desserts. 

Let me know what you think!  Or if you have any SAD recipes you want turned into raw recipes.