Thursday, August 4, 2011

Results from my doctor's appointment

On Monday I went to see Janet Keais DO at the Trinity Clinic of Neuroscience in Tyler, Texas.  She is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, if you don't know what DO stands for.  It was actually recommended by a rheumatologist out of Dallas that I find a DO because of my lifestyle choice to remain drug free.  I choose Dr. Keais because she has a Masters in Nutrition and was a licensed massage therapist for five years before going to medical school. 

I was not disappointed in her!

www.empi.com TENS Pain Management System
Though I'm not positive yet about how our personalities are going to mesh, I am feeling pretty positive about her treatment plan.  As a doctor that focuses on physical medicine and rehab, Dr. Keais did some manipulations on my neck, back and hips. Then she taught me some stretches and prescribed water physical therapy twice a week for a month.  She also prescribed a TENS unit.  I will go back in a month and see how all this works for me. 

The manipulations worked wonders on my fibromyalgia and the stretches I believe will help as well.  The TENS unit also helps really well with the fibro but does nothing for the RA.  Actually nothing she did or prescribed has helped with the RA.  Though, to be fair, she did recommend I start seeing a rheumatologist again at least track the progression of the disease.  I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can get in to see Heidi Schneider, MD at the Trinity Clinic of Arthritis and Rheumatology.

I'll let you know how the physical therapy goes.  I've had pt only twice before in my life and both times I was in my late teens and early 20's so it's been just a few years.  Not to mention those were both for accidents and personally I think I'm in much more overall pain now than I was then.  We'll see.  We are hoping to get my loss of motion back to normal and get me more active.  Crossing my fingers I don't wimp out.