Thursday, November 24, 2011

Almost Raw Vegan Eggplant Parmesan

So the above is a picture of my "Almost Raw Vegan Eggplant Parmesan".  It's nestled on a bed of slightly warmed spirilized zucchini topped with a raw Italian tomato sauce (roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, green pepper, basil, parsley and a dash of salt and a squirt of agave).  The white is a cashew "cheese" sauce (cashews, lemon juice, olive oil and a dash of salt and water).  The eggplant's crust is a mixture of ground flax, pecans and fresh oregano. I kinda had hoped the eggplant would "sweat" enough in the salt to soften up to an edible consistancy but it didn't in time so I threw it in the oven at 350º for 8 minutes per side.  Yes, bad for "raw" but awesome tasting and came out a much better texture and flavor.  Overall I was pretty happy though the cook in me really wanted that eggplant cooked twice as long for a more restaurant type texture.  I have several extra slices and I'm sure when I warm them up in the dehydrator they will be much better. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! 

May you all be Thankful for the wonderful family, friends and gifts already in your lives.