Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Preparing for Thanksgiving 2011

This year's Thanksgiving is going to be a little bit different than recent years.  First off this will be the first year in ten years my husband won't be home with us.  I have no idea if this will be the first of many future holidays alone or not.  Only time will give me the answer to that question. What won't change is that this will be my 5th Thanksgiving since since these lips have touched a turkey - or meat at all for that matter.

Food wise, what is going to be a bit different is that I'm going to lightly cook what I'm calling "Almost Raw-Vegan Eggplant Parmesan" In previous years and most holidays of the past I've made raw vegan lasagna mostly because it's such a pain in the ass to make unless there is a special reason.  Oh, there was that first year---that I'm sure if you searched through my older posts you would find--- that I actually attempted raw mashed "taters" outta cauliflower (gross) and raw mushroom gravy (so salty, weird color and consistency if I remember right).  If I remember right I did make some sort of raw pie.  I do have a small butternut squash.  Maybe I'll make something with it for myself.

I am making a cooked vegan dish for both the boys and myself.  Baked fresh green beans and brussels sprouts.  I got the original recipe out of the November issue of Women's Day but trust me when I say I've tweaked it to make it "Gerson friendly". 

For the boys I'm making a traditional meal of Cornish game hens with apple sausage stuffing, mashed taters and gravy.  Oh, and not to worry about the kids, I made them a pumpkin and my deadly whiskey pecan pies.

If I have time and remember I'll post pictures of my "Almost Raw-Vegan Eggplant Parma" tomorrow :)